4.28.2007

to help other people at all times

this morning i knocked out a nasty hangover by doing 8 hard miles through the forest preserve. on my first lap around, i noticed a crew of kids and adults replacing old rotted out fence posts and rails. at first, i thought this might be a community service thing but upon rounding the next corner of the path, i saw a second crew doing the same thing. one of the adults was wearing a boy scout t-shirt.

on my second lap around, i asked the boy scout shirt if this was an eagle scout project. it was. the adult pointed out the candidate and i offered my congratulations and wished him luck.

i continued on my run and began planning out all of the things i had to do today. clean up house, clean out car, finish store budget, blah blah blah. on the third lap, i threw all of it out the window. to make a long story short, i went home, changed, and spent an absolutely gorgeous afternoon helping out a perfect stranger with his eagle project by digging post holes and hauling lumber around. it felt pretty darn good.

as i reflect on the afternoon, i notice how much i have changed since i did my project. i was a lot like this eagle candidate...always be doing the hard work. he was constantly hauling stuff around and digging. he, just like i did, will eventually learn the lesson that managing your team effectively is far more valuable than doing the grunt work. i tried to subtly tell him this but, as it was not my show, it was not my place to say anything. on several occasions, i had a hard time resisting the urge to jump into a leadership role. my how i've changed.

3 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which mall is your chocolate shop in? I'll be up in Chicago on Sunday.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger mike said...

gurnee mills...right by sears. but i'll be in bloomington this weekend for a wedding. if you stop in, give the crew a hard time.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in Morton for mother's day and to see Chelsea perform at Peoria Player's. Enjoy the wedding. I'll tell them I'm a secret shopper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home