2.22.2006

badlands gear check

Probably the three most important things that you can buy to avoid a nightmarish journey are good boots, good socks, and a good pack. So far, I've determined that I'm going with the following if/when money permits. If it doesn't, then i'll rework to cheaper options.

Pack - Kelty Shadow 4500. Super lightweight with a very stiff frame. Hydration system compatible and plenty of adjustable straps for load management (with 35 lbs. of water, i'm going to need all the load management i can get). Although I've not had it on fully loaded, it seems like it will stay on my hips even though i lack any semblance of an ass. Alternate - two hefty bags and some bungees.
Boots - Vasque Sundowner Summit GTX. According to my hiking companion the Sundowners are the "ish" of hiking boots. Anecdotal evidence and web reviews all agree. Solidly built, waterproof, and good support make these the last boots i'll probably ever buy...i hope. Alternate - barefoot, as nature intended. Maybe i'll even streak my way across the badlands to truly get in touch with nature.
Socks - Wigwam Gobi Polypro liners (outer socks are tbd). Pretty much anything that is super thing and wicking will work. The only reason I chose these is that I know people who have them and love them. Alternate - duct tape and moleskin.

Next up - sleeping bag, hydration, and tent.

4 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Tim said...

I really meant to leave a comment about gear on your last mention of your trip. Unfortunately, I wanted to make the comment so complete that I never got around to writing it up.

All I've gotta say is:

* 1 gallon per person per day of water
* You should be already breaking in your boots.
* be aware of the wildlife and how to properly deal with it. I believe rattle snakes and cougars hang out where you are going
* I love my smartwool outer socks. I'm not too particular with my liner as long as it is synthetic.
* You'd be happier with a very small two-man tent so that you have less gear to pack.
* REI is a dealer of USGS topographic maps. Buy one for the area you are hiking and study it like a caffeine-filled engineering student.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I have a 15% off coupon at Moosejaw if you want it. And a water filter and tablets if you need them.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Yeah. How is the water up there? Can you treat it, or is it too silty to be potable?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger mike said...

completely unpotable. if you're gonna drink it, you'd better be carrying it with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home